Friday, October 3, 2014

Randall Munroe and "xkcd"

xkcd.com logo

I love reading Speculative Fiction. If I didn't, it's very unlikely that I would be able to sustain a blog dedicated to reading it, after all. But in addition to the things that are fantastical, I enjoy learning about new breakthroughs in science. Randall Munroe likes science too, and is far more qualified to talk about it than I am. He's the author of my favorite webcomic, the immensely popular "xkcd," which is described as "A webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language."

Munroe and "xkcd" make me smile because they're a great example of how a person can love science and still enjoy a ridiculous side of things. This idea is epitomized in Munroe's new book, now a #1 New York Times bestseller, What If? Monroe uses his knowledge of science along with a snarky sense of humor to answer questions like how long it would take a sarlacc (to all the folks who aren't huge Star Wars fans, check here to see what it is) to eat a T-rex. It's the perfect combination of the application of science and an appreciation for the absurdity of the world around us. You can find a preview of another question from What If? right here.

Randall Munroe also has a sense of humor about books. Here's one of my very favorite comics from "xkcd," since I think every avid reader has been guilty of this at some point in our lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment